Meeting Minutes for the September 22, 2015 Miner PTO meeting:
Miner Elementary School PTO Meeting Notes
September 22, 2015
New officers elected!
Volunteers needed to help with PTO events, fundraisers, outreach, and planning! Everyone is welcome to join. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit Ideas for Meeting Topics!
Next meeting: October 6, 2015 @ 6pm
Welcome // Thank you - Tammy Alexander (Co-President)
Welcome back from Tammy and a thank you to the spring, summer, and fall volunteer efforts to help move forward with making Miner a special place for our kids.
2015-16 Election Results
Based on the number of nominees, the PTO confirmed by unanimous vote a straight-ticket of nominees to roles as follows:
CO PRESIDENTS (Confirmed)
CO TREASURERS (Confirmed)
TEACHER REPS (Confirmed)
Ms. Dorsey (PK)
Sarah Jensen (3rd grade)
Holly Harper, parent chair
Emily Fisher, Twitter
Andrea Scott , Facebook
Marianne Tangen Brathen
Andrew Curry, Chair
Marianne Tangen Brathen
Shawntice Jones, Chair
Representative to Maury PTO
PTO meeting dates for 2015-16 // CONFIRMED BY MAJORITY VOTE
Special Topics for 2015-16
Special topics can be submitted for inclusion for upcoming meetings. If you have ANY ideas, email us: email@example.com
Topics for 2015/16 (proposed):
· Oct: Staff roles (scheduled) / Low cost computers/internet
· Nov: Differentiated instruction to meet the needs of all learners (Ms. Gunter); Field trips and how they are chosen
· Dec: Before & after school programs; Miner partnerships
· Jan: Summer camps and other programs (parents)
· Feb: Health & wellness (mental health issues) (Mr. DelGiudice)
· March: Testing (overview of all types of assessments)
Reminder about LSAT nominations, elections
Dr. Evans gave an overview of how the LSAT team works to dig deeper into different programs, budgeting, and how to provide oversight to the school. Elections will be in Oct.
What is Visioning and how to get involved
Visioning is a process where everyone in our community will be asked to share their input on the future of Miner as we look to make it a community school of choice. Any community member is welcome to join the Vision Team. Just ask any PTO leader how!
Education forum: Thursday, Sept. 24, 6:00 pm at Miner
Overview of Education Forum by community member, Gimbiya Kettering, about the education forum. Where different curriculum options for future planning and for short term opportunities to build Miner programs.
Donations // Thank You to recent donors
T-shirts // Voted on Design // Tshirts will be available to preorder by the next meeting.
Principal’s Update (Dr. Evans)
Dr. Evans reports a great start to the school year.
Status of the playground. Dr. Evans' understanding is that in December we will be getting a new playground. The PTO has talked about raising additional money.
· Mr. Ghee has asked about a new field. Dr. Evans said it’s not in the budget for this. Capitol Hill Little League might help with that.
· Ms. Betts asked about the playground surface in PK playground, and that will be replaced.
· Effie Kapsalis called Casey Trees about the spring 2016/17 playground season. Maybe we should reach out to garden shops on the Hill.
Communications (Holly Harper)
Communications at have been going out are Facebook, emails, posters, texts, etc. We are looking for items to add to celebrate activities at Miner.
· Dave Treat – Will we doing outreach to recruit next class as the school lottery comes around. // Lena Heide – PK Coordinator does a lot of outreach for the lottery // Dr. Evans - Will attend DCPS school open house, Miner has open houses scheduled. Miner PTO and Dr. Evans will attend the School Information Night in the community.
How has the first month gone?
Parents expressed happiness with Miner thus far, enjoying teachers & walking to school.
· Ms. Peyton: Has there been any feedback regarding people who drive and park out front of the school? Can we install signs that say "drop off"? // Ms. Betts: Can we use the blacktop as a drop-off circle //Shawntice Jones: Can we get a safety patrol at drop-off to walk the kids in? Volunteers or older kids?
· Dr. Evans: Older Miner kids can't do it because they need to be in the classroom. AAA used to have a program.
· OPEN QUESTION: How can we get kids safely in the school?
Next Meeting: Tuesday, October 6, 6:00 pm
SPECIAL TOPIC: Overview of staff roles and responsibilities (Dr. Evans) // Low cost computer program (Ms. Tabron)