The Miner PTO wishes to thank the Maryland Avenue Chik-Fil-A (@chikfilanedc) and Peter Choi, the franchise owner, for the generous donation of food and drinks for our staff appreciation lunch in January. We are grateful for the support of our community, and we appreciate Mr. Choi's help in recognizing our staff for their tireless work!
Thank you all!
On Thursday night the PTO and school hosted our second family engagement event of the year—the Winter Luau. Students danced the night away in the gym and enjoyed pizza and popcorn while taking a break from the dance floor. Everyone had a great time, and the night was a huge success.
However, there is no way the dance would have been possible without the help of some of our incredible teachers/staff and dedicated parents. First of all, huge thank you's go out to Mr. Faison for his amazing DJ skills, and to Jessica Burniske, Ms. Mears, Ms. Olazo, Ms. Poblete, and Ms. Turingan for all of the decorations that transformed the gym into a tropical paradise. Additionally, without the help of Ms. Wisnoski, Ms. Robinson, Ms. Poole, Dan Fitzgerald, John Muir, and David & Amy Treat, we wouldn’t have been able to pull off the event. And last, but certainly not least, thank you to everyone (and there are so many of you!) who stayed after the dance ended to help clean up.
We are so grateful to our awesome Miner family for making events like this possible!
VP, Miner PTO
Miner Elementary & the Miner PTO Invite our families to a
Family Engagement Event
Thursday, January 18 * 6:00 - 8:00 PM * In the Gym
Theme: A Tropical Luau!
It’s cold outside, so we hope you’ll join us for some great fun indoors!
Now that the holidays are over and a new year is upon us, a lot of families may be cleaning out the old to make room for the new. Depending on what you're getting rid of, the PTO would like to make a couple of requests, and also offer some tips.
1. Miner has a "treasure" chest of small toys that are used as prizes for the students. If you're one of those homes with children that quickly accumulate a variety of small toys and trinkets and want to get rid of some, please consider donating them. Just drop off any items at the front desk. If you'd like a receipt for tax purposes, just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Planning has begun for Miner's Third Annual Spring Yard Sale! The school has once again offered space at the school for storage of donations until the sale occurs later this year (tentatively April 28). As you clean and organize for the new year, just bring any toys, games, clothes, household items, furniture, decor, or other items in good condition to the school at any time starting after we return from break. We are still working out final logistics for drop off of donations, so in the meantime, you can leave them in the Parent Resource Center (Room 143) just off the East Lobby. If you'd like a receipt for tax purposes, just email us at email@example.com.
3. Some used Apple devices in working condition may quality for a gift card when mailed back to Apple. See https://www.apple.com/recycling/ for more information.
4. For devices that are too old or no longer work, here are a couple of options:
5. As part of the PTO's Spring Yard Sale, we will accept dropped off e-waste and other household hazardous waste at Miner, after which we will transport it to Ft. Totten as a community service. See the above DPW link for accepted e-cycle items, and here for accepted household hazardous waste: https://dpw.dc.gov/node/466802